Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I can't with my cubicle nightlife

Here I am. After midnight. Sitting at my office desk. Sometimes my job requires me to work late at night in a edit where we put together an actual show and hopefully when done we have a finished product that tells an interesting life story of some ultra glamorous person. Tonight it was Charlie Sheen who beats his wife, threatens her at knifepoint, and has a lot of sex with people other than her but makes people laugh (so ive heard) on Two and Half Men so all is forgiven I guess? Check your local listings. Whatever.

Anyway, I'm sitting here and I'm actually like not tired at all. I've been here since noon today and probably should be exhausted but I just put on my music and am surprisingly alert. I dont think I mind working nights at all I just kinda cant with being in an office. I just went into the xerox area and thought the lights in there were motion activated like the bathrooms around here but they're not and I wound up jumping and dancing around like an idiot until I went looking for the switch.

It's very quiet here. Not even security is in the building. Just moi. Thank god I have a tv at my desk tho. Shania Twain on idol tonight was major.

Recently I was talking to a few people about my need for a part time job working in a club doing something bar-like. I have never worked in any sort of place like a bar, or even a restaurant but it seems simple enough and i could really use the extra dough rey mi! Plus I'm up late, I work well at off hours, I like talking to and meeting new people and why not? I think I have just the right chutzpah for the job! I would totally be like a coat check boy or barback or money taker at the door. (I don't even know if those are the right terms for these jobs) I just don't wanna do drag or anything. That would not be pretty.

My parents would always tell me to get little part time jobs when I was in college making no money and when I was out of college making no money but to be honest I always thought that idea was really beneath me. I actually thought that being broke and sinking further into debt with all my expenses was SO "in" and being responsible and having enough money to live comfortably and pay your bills was so NOT the look.

My I guess times have changed. When people start off in a career, such as myself now, I think it's very popular in this new decade of recessionista glamor that we also have some sort of supplemental income on the side doing something where we're getting out there and in the thick of it, meeting people, hobknobbing, and taking coat tickets, taking cards, taking names! This is nyc baby! Plus I love music and I live to dance. But not by myself in Xerox rooms at 1 in the morning to turn the lights on. Anne Murray sang that even tho we aint got money I'm so in love with ya honey. She was singing to her son in that song I think. Cuz she loves him so who cares if she's broke. I don't have a son, or even a dog. I have a frog and goldfish and sometimes i don't love them. So i need money.

Why is this all just apparent to me now? Thanks Anne Murray. Canadians are so wise.

Anyone hiring?

No comments:

Post a Comment