Wednesday, January 27, 2010

I can't with being a lotto loser


So I didn't win the millions. It wasn't in the cards, or in this case, the ticket.

I got all ready in my apartment for the moment they read out the numbers and I would become a millionaire. I ordered from my favorite chinese takeout place Golden Dragon and set it up on my coffee table and turned to channel 7 at exactly 10:59PM. (I thought to myself, this will be the last time I eat a $7 combo plate again!! From now on it's class central!) The whole thing happened so quickly. I couldn't even register the numbers the guy was reading out loud but they flashed them on the screen again at the end for me to cross check my ticket. 38-7-39-8-48 with a mega ball of 22.

I wasn't even close.

Oh well. What I did win tonight however was a chance to dream. Besides who wants to win all that money anyway?! Money makes people crazy! I watched an E! true hollywood story once called "Lotto Losers" and it was about all these people whose lives were torn apart from winning the lotto. Some of them made bad investments, some gambled it all away. Some had death threats made against them, some had people hounding them for money, some got beat up, extorted, lost it all to drugs, sex, even murder, you name it! I could see people now being like, "That Glenn was sure on a good path, until he won that mega millions and it all went downhill from there!"

I also recalled a movie from the mid-90s called It Could Happen to You. In it, Nicholas Cage is a cop married to Rosie Perez who does nails and they live in Queens. Nicholas Cage plays the lotto one day (i dunno if it was Mega Millions) and goes to a diner after and doesn't have enough money to tip Bridget Fonda, the waitress. So he makes a deal that if he wins the lotto he will split his winnings with her. That night he wins 4 million dollars and keeps his word to Bridget Fonda and when Rosie Perez finds out she goes all Queens Puerto Rican boriqua crazy on his ass!! She has massive shopping sprees at Tiffany's and Bendel's and wears fur and gets red paint splashed on her and gets big breast implants and then runs off with some investment banker who steals all her money and in the end she's left broke living with her mom.

Is that who I want to wind up like?! Rosie Perez?! I don't think so. Could you imagine? And that's just the sort of thing that could've happened if I won tonight so it's probably for the best that I'm right back exactly where I started.

Thank you for helping me realize my dreams though Mega-Millions!! And for keeping my life still in tact.

p.s. my fortune cookie tonight says, "Why not treat yourself to a good time instead of waiting for someone else to do it?"

(Maybe that means I should play again.)



1 comment: