Tuesday, January 12, 2010

My new home, and closets

I've been keenly aware the past few days that I haven't been blogging and sharing my life with y'all. We'll it's been partly because I've been busy looking for an apartment but my search is now over. I've found a new home. She's in Manhattan on the Upper West Side. (I thought it was in Morningside Heights but Dane researched it and told me that the cut off of the Upper West Side is 110th and since our new place is on 109th, I stand corrected.)

And just like that, it's real. Come January 31st - Bye bye Astoria.

The process was surprisingly painless. Dane did all the work and just told me where to be and when. We saw a few places on Saturday, all in Hells Kitchen, but they were too small and we'd be on top of each other. So we moved on to day two in the low 100's and the second place we saw we liked and in an instant we said, we'd take it.

We schlepped down to the brokers office after that, filled out papers, faxed more papers the next day, waited patiently, got approved and signed the lease less than 48 hours after we agreeed to make west 109th street our new home. And that's New York kids.

An interesting thing to point out about our new pad is the fact that there arent any closets. Well that's an exaggeration, there is one, in my bedroom but no other closets in the rest of the apartment except for the ONE in my bedroom. So interesting I find this fact that it seems to be the only thing I have been able to think about when I think about the new place I will be sharing with Dane for at least a year.

Why I am so fixated on closets at this time could be for a number of reasons. From an obvious standpoint it's just the simple fact that I have 3 now in Queens and am able to safely tuck away things I dont use all the time in them and now I will have to purge some items that I thought might be precious but will have to face as really being junk.

Or perhaps I still feel safe knowing I have a place to put things I want to hide and don't want that luxury taken from me. But what could I be hiding? Old clothes? My air-conditioners? MYSELF?

For years growing up I was considered "in the closet" and thought I'd never come out. But I eventually did and started living a life collecting what could be considered today the "skeletons in my closet" but what happens when I start to live a life in a new home without any closets, or should I say one really big crowded one? Does that mean no more skeletons? No more secrets? Is my life on display for anyone to see? Do i care?

Dane seems to be optimistic about going to the container store to buy closets he can put together.

I wonder, what could he be hiding?!!

3 comments:

  1. If I EVER sell my place we may be nabes!!! That is the hood I am looking to move to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very clever and insightful. Everyone needs a closet! Some skeletons should stay in the closet ;)

    ReplyDelete