Friday, January 22, 2010

I can't with more aquarium death

So I came home tonight and the last remaining frog in my tank is dead. Dead. Just two days after Lee Goldfish died, Diana Williams kicked the bucket.

And so marks the end of my little aquarium adventure.

I had never asked for this aquarium. Last August for my birthday my sister came to visit me and instead of getting me a cute american apparel gift card she thought it would be cuter to buy me an aquarium with a filter and gravel, the whole nine and 2 swimming frogs. I have always been a huge fan of frogs and have them peppered throughout my apartment. There's one suctioned to my shower wall, a crystal one in my bedroom, ceramic frogs lining my bathtub, frog magnets on the fridge, frog salt and pepper shakers, you get the gist. So anyway, my sister last year thought "oh glenn just LOVES frogs, i'll buy him some"

But they were alive, and swam, and ate, and pooped and instantly I felt this added pressure in my life one feels when they have to take care of something. Being faced with that new responsibility I immediately thought to myself that I would've rather had the cash.

And now they're all dead. I wonder why this could all be happening just as I am ready to move back to manhattan. As if they weren't meant to take the trip. Maybe the trip would've killed them. Maybe they can't with manhattan and never wanted to leave this place. I spoke to Dane about having them in the new apartment and the whole thing being a big pain in the ass between the feeding and the cleaning and buying supplies and he said he would take care of them for me just make sure I keep them alive for the move. So much for that idea. It's as if he knew they wouldnt make it either.

The other day someone told me the gay bar down the street from my apartment out here in Astoria closed recently too. It was called Lavish Lounge and was a complete disaster but sometimes had cute go-go boy strippers and fun poppy music that I liked to dance to. I could smoke hookah there too when I was still a smoker and enjoyed a few dates there and nights with friends. Hearing that it closed also seemed symbolic to me because I remember it being brand spanking new when I first moved out here and now it is gone too, just as I'm ready to be gone myself.

What could it all mean? The frog is dead. The fish is dead. The gay bar is dead. I guess things really do occur in threes. Or does this all cosmically mean that it really is my time to move on. My stint out here in Astoria has run its course. The death card in tarot decks doesnt necessarily always mean a death but it symbolizes the closing of one door and the opening of another.

Jersey Shore on MTV ended tonight too! The guidos and guidettes all said their goodbyes and will move on to bigger and better spin-off reality shows just as I will be moving on to a frog-less, fish-less, 2 bedroom in the sky, in a new neighborhood with a different local dive gay bar. It's like my own little spin-off reality show of life. If only I had Snooki to keep me company!

Closure seems to be occurring in many ways around me at the moment and I can't help but take notice. I'm a bit sad that my aquatic friends all bit the dust but it seems as though it was their time.

I should have Mason read my tarot cards. She's been a real Miss Cleo these days. I wonder what else might be in store for me.

So R.I.P. to Diana, Sade, Lee, Lavish, & Jersey Shore. This fist pump's for all of you, wherever you may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment